Thank you for your interest in placing your book at The King's English Bookshop (TKE). We are committed to providing opportunities for local authors to make their work available to our customers, to the extent that our resources allow.
If your book has been/will soon be published by an established publisher, you are welcome to send TKE a notice of publication. If we decide to carry your book, we will purchase it directly from the publisher.
If your book is self-published, TKE will consider selling it on a consignment basis, i.e., the book remains the property of the consigner until/unless sold. If you would like TKE to consider stocking your book on consignment, please note the following guidelines:
- TKE will pay 60% of the retail price to the author upon sale of the book.
- TKE will initially take 5 copies of the book.
- The basic administrative fee for consignment books is $25 per title. The fee for an (optional) online listing is $15 per title.
- TKE agrees to stock books on a consignment basis for 3 months. If your title is selling, we may elect to extend your contract at no extra charge.
- During that period, TKE may contact the consigner to request additional quantities for sale, and/or to pay the consigner for items already sold.
- At the end of the consignment period, TKE will send any unsold books and any payment accrued from book sales to an address provided by the consigner.
- TKE will have to dispose of books left for more than 6 months without a valid return address.
- Have a spine displaying the title and author’s name (no spiral-bound books).
- Display an International Standard Book Number (ISBN-13) and bar code.
- Have a suggested retail price printed on the exterior.
- Meet standard shelf-size requirements.
To complete the Consignment Process:
- Read the above guidelines thoroughly
- Complete and sign the Consignment Agreement (available at the bookstore) and pay the $25 (per title) handling fee.
- Deliver 5 copies of your book.
- Encourage friends, family, and other contacts to purchase your book at TKE.
- Include a link to TKE and IndieBound for online browsing.
Please note: TKE handles hundreds of consignments per year, giving local authors the same promotional opportunities that traditional publishers enjoy at TKE. The consignment fee allows us to continue to accept professionally-produced, self-published books of interest to and appreciated by our customers.
The King’s English values its connection with the local writing community and is proud to support it whenever possible. We look forward to reviewing your work and thank you for your interest in The King’s English Bookshop.